5.02.2006

Back in the Motherland

A lot has happened in the last week. A lot.

On Thursday, we loaded up the moving truck and watched as our house went from cluttered to empty. It really helped this whole “process” sink in. The moving company did a great job and I can’t imagine moving without one in the future. Thursday night we went to our friends house and enjoyed a final evening in Mankato. It was kind of a sad night, but at the same time it was great to spend it enjoying their company.

On Friday, we loaded up the turtle, cleaned the house and made our trek from Mankato, MN to Westfield, WI. Leah did a great job as she slept the entire way (4 hours!). When we arrived at the camp, we were both overwhelmed with just how large this house is. I kind of forgot just how large the house is. There are four bedrooms, 3 bathrooms and a great finished basement. Friday night we spent at a hotel in Westfield as our “stuff” wasn’t at the house yet.

Saturday was the move-in day. After about 3 hours, all of our stuff was in the house. Getting it all unpacked will be a different story. We will be living in a cardboard jungle for several weeks I think. We also went to Appleton on Saturday for my dad’s 50th birthday. It was great to be able to drive home in just an hour and a half and for so many new relatives to meet Leah for the first time. Leah did get a little over stimulated due to the crowd though. She did good considering the overall stress of the last few days.

We returned home on Sunday and I actually started my job yesterday. I spent some time with the previous director learning the ropes of the camp and then spent some time in the office that afternoon. While I don’t understand all the tasks of my job yet, I can see many areas that my skills will be of use. Just in basic organization there is a lot of room for improvement. I could easily spend several late nights in the office just working. I have a feeling when Jamie and Leah go to Ireland I will be putting in some extra hours just to get things to a more comfortable state.

I could go on and on about the life without cable or high-speed internet, but I’ll save that for another day. I also need to figure out a way to get dial-up to my Mac in the basement so I can post pictures with my blogs easier. For now it is just text though. Sorry!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear it went well, Sounds like you have some nice digs.

uncle tim said...

You made it, eh? So excited for you, but not envious of the hard work and stress that I'm sure is on its way. You're doing the Big Guy's work now...not that you weren't before, but...well, you know what I mean.

Anonymous said...

Hey Buddy. It sounds like you guys are getting settled in. We miss you guys already. Do your cell phones still work out there? I did leave a message the other day. I alkkso have my cell phone back from my wife, so feel free to call and chat. I am really curious how things are going? I assume you had to miss "survivor" and the "the office" last night. Talk to you later.