11.21.2005

Unhappy with my church...

As some background, I have been at the same church since I moved to Mankato. That is about 2 years now. During that time I have been heavily active in youth ministry and have always gotten something out of Sunday morning worship.

Well, that is until we got a new lead pastor. I want to be clear on this, I think our new pastor is a great guy and is theologically very good. The problem I have is really in his preaching style. I have always been a strong believer that successful preaching should be similar to the way Jesus preached. Speaking in parables, Jesus used stories to convey deep theological meanings to the masses using everyday situations that they could grab hold of and easily remember in their daily life.

That just is not happening with our new pastor. Instead, I feel as though I am in a theology class where I am just having information crammed into my head. It's frustrating and I know I am not alone in my frustration.

Also, the worship at my church has taken a significant drop in contemporary status. It seems we are stuck in a time-warp circa 1995. My hope is that this is more a side-effect of not having a lead worship pastor for the past 6 months, but I have my doubts. It is starting to look like this is just who my church is. Ugh.

At the same time, I look at this complaints and realize I may be asking for too much. Why can't I simply be happy with the worship I have? Isn't it really more a condition of my heart than anything else? And if there is a problem I have with it, should I be the one to make the change somehow?

Not really sure what to do on this one. Advice is welcome.

No comments: